Monday, January 3, 2011

Stalked by penguins...



I'm taking advantage of winter break and bringing home as many pretty books as I can from my wanderings through the library. Nothing non-fiction, nothing informative, just strange books and silly books and fun books and books with nice pictures. I think of it as a service to the library, freeing up some shelf space. This week, that's left me with:

The More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide (Douglas Adams, obviously)
The individual volumes were all checked out, but here they are in one place! Plus it's one of those big hardcovers that stays open on a page.

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes (Neil Gaiman)
The Sandman: The Doll's House (same as above)
Love Mirrormask, never read these. Working through the second volume right now, having trouble not thinking "Rose Tyler" every time our young blonde Rose is mentioned.

The Black Book of Colors (Menena Cottin, Rosana Faria)
The picture books are in great big bins, so you just flip through till something catches your eye. The title of this one was curious; you open it up and the pages are all indeed black save a single line of white text on the left. The rest is for another sense; the words are repeated in braille, and the facing page has raised images representing the color (grass for green, strawberries for red, leaves for brown). Very fun.

A Mama for Owen (Marion Dane Bauer, John Butler)
The tortoise and the hippo. I know the story, though I haven't gotten around to the book yet - the cover illustration is just lovely, very soft and understated.

So, that should tide me over till Wednesday. If not, I've got Clash of the Titans to entertain me.

Oh, and my jewelry finally arrived! Little mix-up in the mail, resulting in the delivery of two (non-sonic) screwdrivers I didn't exactly order, but now it's here and so shiny:


Chose Engineering because, obviously, it matches my shirt.
Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment